A Managing Partner at GGV Capital, Jeff joined the firm in 2008 after spending 13 years as an entrepreneur and operating executive in the US and Asia. Prior to joining GGV, Jeff founded two venture-backed companies, one a success and one a “huge failure” in his own words – “I learned a lot.” His background as an entrepreneur gives him a unique perspective on the challenges of starting and running a venture-backed company, and he works closely with the GGV Talent team on Founders + Leaders.
Jeff focuses on the Software and Internet sectors, and currently sits on the boards of or is a board observer at BigCommerce, one of the top ecommerce software platforms, Boxed, a rising star in the ecommerce space, Brightwheel, the leading SaaS provider for the early education vertical, Gladly, a next generation SaaS platform for customer care, Percolate, a leading marketing SaaS platform for global brands,PlushCare, a mobile platform for consumer healthcare, Reebonz, Southeast Asia’s leader in luxury ecommerce, Slice, a market network for the pizza industry, and Tile, the platform for location. Jeff also led GGV’s investments in Appirio (acquired in 2016 by Wipro), BlueKai (acquired in 2014 by Oracle), Buddy Media (acquired in 2012 by Salesforce), Citrus Lane (acquired in 2014 by Care.com), Evolv (acquired in 2014 by Cornerstone OnDemand), Flipboard, HotelTonight, ShiftGig, Voicera and Zylo, and has been actively involved in GGV’s investments in Domo, OpenDoor, Square and Wish.
Prior to joining GGV, Jeff founded two software companies: R4, a supply chain SaaS business acquired by VeriSign (NASDAQ: VRSN), and QuantumShift, a telecom software business backed by Texas Pacific Group (TPG). Earlier in his career, Jeff worked in Asia and Latin America with PriceWaterhouseCoopers. Jeff graduated from Dartmouth College, where he was a four-year letterman on the basketball team and is on the Advisory Board for the Dartmouth Entrepreneur Network (DEN).
Recent Articles and Appearances
- The Majority of Top Performing IPOs Were Never Unicorns
- Forbes: GGV Capital Launches Founders + Leaders
- The Fortt Knox Podcast with John Fortt: The Future of Money - Bitcoin, Apple Pay+++
- CNBC: Facebook will go Overboard to be Transparent
- The People Conundrum
- CNBC: Under Trump, Business Leaders Have Become a Moral Compass
- The Great Consumer Upgrade
- E-Commerce Bloodbath? We’re Swimming Against the Current.
- The WalMart Earnings Miss is a Cannon Shot for the Retail / CPG Industry by Jeff Richards
- Jeff Richards explains Wal-Mart's talent problem [video]
- Jeff Richards joins Bloomberg TV to discuss Alibaba's evolving e-commerce strategy [video]
- What the Square IPO signals for Silicon Valley [video]
- TechCrunch Equity Podcast – VCs Still Love Unicorns and Crypto