Hans Tung joined GGV Capital in 2013 as a managing partner to focus on consumer mobile internet, cross-border ecommerce, IoT, and mobile social communication investments in both China and the U.S. Hans led GGV’s investment and serves on the boards of Wish, a fast growing cross border mobile commerce marketplace; Xiaohongshu, a leading active social community and recommendation app for cross-border shopping in China; Poshmark, a simple and fun way to buy and sell fashion; GrubMarket, a marketplace for local farm goods; and OfferUp, a place for consumers to buy and sell goods locally. He has invested in mobile social communication companies such as musical.ly, highly popular video social network for creating, sharing and discovering short videos; Slack, which brings all your communication together in one place; Bustle, an online community providing a fresh spin on information and all subjects; Wheelwell, a market network for automotive parts and services, Peloton, a fitness technology platform and community, and Curse, a social communication platform for gamers that was acquired by Twitch. Hans is a personal investor in leading Indian e-commerce companies Flipkart and Snapdeal. He is also actively involved with GGV portfolio companies Airbnb, Flipboard, DraftKings, and Yodo1.
Hans was one of the earliest investors in, and a former board member of, Xiaomi. At GGV, he has backed several Xiaomi IoT ecosystem companies, e.g. Smartmi (air purifiers and other smart home appliances), Zimi (mobile wifi devices), 1More (headphones), and other IoT companies including Misfit, maker of wearable and smart home products, which was acquired by Fossil. Hans has been ranked as a top VC on the Forbes Midas list since 2013 and was recognized by The Founder and CBN News magazines in the past as a Top 10 most entrepreneur-friendly VC in China.
Hans’ prior work experience spans venture capital, internet startups, and tech investment banking over 18 years. He previously led investments in, or served on the boards of, startups that have since category leaders, including Xiaomi, Mafengwo Travel, Vancl.com, 51fanli, Domob Ads (sold to Blue Focus Advertising, Shenzhen Stock Exchange: 300058), Forgame (HKSE: 0484), and eHi Car Rental (NYSE: EHIC). He joined GGV from Qiming Venture Partners, where he focused on investment in China from 2007 to 2013. Previously, he was with Bessemer Venture Partners, where he helped global players such as Skype expand into China. Hans was also a founding member of two pan-Asian internet startups with roots in Silicon Valley that were subsequently sold to telcos, HelloAsia and Asia2B.
He started his career at Merrill Lynch as an investment banker focused on the technology sector. He received his B.S. in Industrial Engineering from Stanford University.
Recent Articles and Appearances
- GGV Capital's Hans Tung On Why China Is So Crucial For Tech [video]
- Now Is The Time To Break Into China by Hans Tung
- Startups serving the 99% will be the next billion-dollar companies, by Hans Tung
- GGV Partner Hans Tung discusses Airbnb’s strategy in China on Bloomberg West
- Hans Tung joins BloombergWest to discuss Cisco's investment in China [video]
- Hans Tung Talks China on Bloomberg TV (video)
- Musical.ly: Popular app originally designed by Chinese team
- Chinese Tech Firms Forced to Choose Market: Home or Everywhere Else
- Hans Tung joins Squawk on the Street to explain the potential in Chinese tech startups
- OfferUp raises $119 million for resale marketplace
- Wheelwell Wants To Be The New Online Hub For Car Parts and Accessories
- China Calls for More Government Financing in Venture Capital
- Uber, Didi Chuxing Deal Is 'Win, Win,' GGV Capital's Tung Tells CNBC